Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Monday 27 October 2014

New Toys for the Boys

Saturday saw the Postman bring me some new Rosemary & Co Series 33 brushes. Well me and the boy as he will be getting four from Santa (not the Secret one the real deal). I figure that if he is to keep up this painting business then he had better have his own brushes and why shirk on quality?

I needed to stock up and whilst I do like my Series 7 Winsor & Newton (still need to paint more with them!) I think the quality to price ratio Rosemary & Co win out. 

Sunday saw me down at The Works which had various boxes of Revell 1/72 (20mm) figures including these two boxes of Russian infantry. Just £1.99 a box so I grabbed the two boxes they had. The lads that play at Kev's expect you to contribute in some way, they have had a freebooter and tired of him. I know they have an opening for Russians in their OOB so these are a great start. I won't start painting them till I have cleared the Naps off but they are a near future project. I will need to supplement the boxes as I still need some heavy weapons as only two medium MMG's being pulled and no mortars or Anti-Tank Rifles etc. These may have to be metal, also will need a few tanks to cover the various periods that may be played. Also Lee was quite open to the idea of 20mm so these could see double duty.

Add to this that I have a load of 20mm SHQ American Paratroopers and I think we could get something going for sure. It's also something that my son could get into as well, especially as he has a box of British Paras as well already.

My local store (J28 of the M1) still has American Paratroopers, American infantry in Winter clothing and modern German Infantry. I think maybe I should have grabbed a couple of boxes of the Winter Yanks but that figure counter put me off LOL.

19 comments:

  1. £1.99 each???? Can't be bad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well worth picking a few up if you ask me

      ian

      Delete
  2. How have the Rosemary & Co brushes worked for you? I bought some a few months back because they were significantly cheaper than W&N and had heard praise from other gamers. However the ones I have are pretty much useless as size 0 and larger won't hold a point and quite a few hairs start poking out in every direction immediately when wet. And the hairs are very floppy and as such hard to control compared to the very springy W&N. Normal shaping/cleaning agents don't help at all either. After a few seconds of painting the hairs start sticking in every direction again. I don't know if I got a really bad batch or what, but mine are even worse than cheap synthetic brushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used R&Co now for 2-3 years and the Series 33 are excellent. I have tried some of the other ranges and have not found the series 92 to be half as good and the triangler ones did not suit me.

      If your experience was with the series 33 I would contact them and let them know and ask for replacements. I have bought well over £100 worth of brushes from them and am very happy, the points have remained good as the bristles have worn thin.

      Ian

      Delete
  3. The figures are a real bargain!

    I'm curious how the new brushes turn out.

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used series 33 for a long time now. I am rather heavy on brushes and was replacing the army painter and similar Kolinsky Sable type brushes every 6-8 weeks or slightly longer. Moved to R&co series 33 and they lasted six month and more and at that time I was painting eight hours a day 5-7 days a week. Now they last 6-9 months plus as I paint just 1-3 hours average a night

      Ian

      Delete
  4. I'm quite a fan of Rosemary & Co. and find that the series 92, numbers 4 & 10 meet my needs perfectly. Admittedly you get the occasional rogue brush, but on the whole, I'm pretty pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the 92's a little, but find the 33 holds the point without the curl right to the end whilst I do find the 92 curl after a month or two's use but as I said I am a little heavy with them. I don't think they hold as much paint as some others but that's not a big issue as they hold plenty

      ian

      Delete
  5. Shiny brushes, I once received some of these but less shiny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that. That was funny.

      Delete
    2. I should have finished the job with a good coat of gloss varnish LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Hi Ian. I've just sent you an e-mail via your e-mail side bar, concerning my win. Thank you very much. Regards Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark

      it did not get through can you try again, failing that send it to ian underscore (shift and the dash key) willey at hotmail dot com

      If I don't get something in the next couple of days will contact you again

      Ian

      Delete
  7. I am too a Rosemary's brushes fan and I am finding if you look after them they last a long time. I for some of their new Series 101 range and they are perfect for my need and I love the handles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will have to look at those on my next order. That won't be long as I forgot the Ebony Short Flat brushes I use for adding the paint to my sanded bases. The technique kills them but they are low priced so all is good

      Ian

      Delete
  8. Were you able to catch any of the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a bit, will watch the highlights with my son as he is a big fan of old number 43 (even has his shirt)

      Ian

      Delete
  9. Ooh shiney... New armies.,with all those lovely support weapons n stuff to pick up.. Love it...

    Can't have too many brushes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It got worse today as I have had yet more figures wash up today :-)

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.