Saka Light Cavalry

Saka Light Cavalry

Tuesday 10 January 2017

Number 2 Regiment Zieten Hussars

This is the cavalry that Lee also managed to buy by mistake (so he says), They are a very colourful bunch as are most of the Hussars of the period.

We base our cavalry all on the same sized bases but the number of figures on the bases denotes the troop type. Last post had the heavies with eight to a base, hussars just get six figures a base. Whilst not smack you in the mouth noticeable the overall effect and ease of working out unit types really works for us.

Hussars don't carry standards into battle so that detail is wrong. I am just taking it as a captured standard, got to be good for morale.

The detail on these figures is quite good as is the standard of painting. By happy coincidence this is one of the three Hussar regiments that took part in the invasion of Saxony so fits with my planned army. I will not be getting the third regiment for awhile as two Hussar regiments will be enough till I have grown the army somewhat. With so many cavalry units (with another four dragoons in the wings) I will be concentrating on infantry, artillery and more command once I have the dragoons on my painting table finished.

These figures came based but Lee was kind enough to debase them for me making it quicker for me to base them up. So it took about nine months to get to the point where I have a full army ready for a game. I thought that was none too shabby, right up to the point Tamsin turned in A WHOLE ARMY after just three weeks of the painting challenge, not only that she was lamenting the slow start as having the first week of the challenge away from home LOL.

Of course this army is set to grow plenty more. Though I can start to spend more time on The Boys French now. Expect to see a bunch of French infantry here soon.

12 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with a gallant hussar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful (and dynamic) looking hussars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They looking wonderfully striking Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, the other hussars (the ones I did paint) are also quite colourful but these win that game

      Ian

      Delete
  4. Nice hussars Ian! :)

    Just a note - hussars didn't carry standards in the field (certainly not the Prussian, Russian or Austrian ones at any rate).

    As for the whole army I submitted yesterday, that was actually done in just over a week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, funny how you get them in the command packs. The ones I painted I used the standard armed one as a casualty marker (without adding a flag)

      I did not think I could take the flag off these so I simply think it's just been captured.

      Thanks for correcting me regards your army, I feel so much better now LOL

      Ian

      Delete
  5. Looks great, Ian. Happy Painting in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Happy, it started good, slowed down this week a bit

      Ian

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I am happy to be their new owner :-)

      Ian

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.